I just wanted to make sure there are some pictures of Fribourg on here. The pictures of our house, in Villars-sur-Glane, a close suburb, don't really give you any feel for the town that is just 1/2 a mile from us. It's roots go back to the 1100's, and it's built on the pennisula of a river, so there are a lot of bridges, cliffs, and history to it that are far beyond anything I could describe here...so you'll have to see it through these pictures or just come and see it for yourself. There's the old town, which is down in a 'hole' along the river. Then there's the new town, which is up outside of the 'hole' and is a fairly normal old European town with lots of shops, pedestrian areas, trains, buses, pastry shops, etc. Also, the river is a language border ...one side is French and the other side is German...road signs and everything change. There are a number of language universities and colleges here, which makes sense given how most people speak no less than 3 languages. I'm still wanting to walk through it all someday, but haven't done that yet...it seems a little overwhelming to do with a 2 year old and such a large belly as I've got these days. But I'm going to do it soon...there's a pool, parks, and lots of fountains to entertain her so it would probably fun on a nice warm day.
Wednesday, May 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment